Starting with a 1999 Ford F-350 and a new Kaufman 3-car trailer in 2010, MAT now manages a fleet of 10 trucks with over $1 million dollars of annual gross shipments. So what have we learned? Here are the top 5 things.
- The overall regulatory environment is more complex than we thought, and state DOT enforcement would not be overstated by using the word “harassment.”
- The day to day execution of moving cars from point “A” to point “B” is far more difficult to manage than we thought. It’s not just as simple as pick-up and drop off.
- The ongoing volume of cars moving day to day in the eastern US that can be profitably moved with light commercial trucking equipment (hotshot rigs) is larger and more consistent than we thought.
- Insurance has been more difficult and expensive to maintain than we projected.
- You CAN lose money shipping cars with a “hotshot” rig if you don’t remain disciplined in routing and pricing.
MAT offers independent owner operators the opportunity to be in business for themselves, but not by themselves. We have grown by developing proven strategies that enable our drivers to run more loads at a higher gross, and with fewer mistakes than if they were to go it alone. We obtain loads and route plans, that’s important, but we also eliminate the need for drivers manage a compliant DOT set of audit files, and simplify the daily functions related to invoicing and cash-flow.